The Silver&Fit® Program
The Silver and Fit exercise and healthy-aging program is provided by American Specialty Health. Silver and Fit is a fitness program designed specifically for older adults. You may get access to Silver and Fit as a Medicare beneficiary through many insurance companies’ Medicare Advantage and Supplement plans.
Silver&Fit COVID-19 Adaptations
If you have a Silver and Fit membership, you don't have to stop your exercise regimen just because you're avoiding public places like the gym. Right now, Silver and Fit is offering virtual exercise classes on Facebook Live for people who are sheltering in place during the COVID-19 pandemic. The best part: you don't need a Silver and Fit membership to watch the videos and follow along. And they do a different workout each day, so it keeps the routine fresh and fun.
See the Silver and Fit Facebook page for Facebook Live virtual exercise programs, which air Monday through Friday, at 1 p.m. Eastern Time (10 a.m. Pacific Time). Or, if you miss a live workout, you can see all the previous exercise videos on Silver and Fit's YouTube page.
How to enroll in the Silver&Fit program
Certain Medicare Advantage and Medicare Supplement plans include the Silver and Fit program as a benefit. Some people may also get access through a group retirement health plan.
Silver and Fit eligibility depends on two criteria:
- You must be 65 or older.
- You must be enrolled in Medicare.
If you meet the eligibility requirements, you just need to be enrolled in a Medicare Advantage or Medicare Supplement plan that includes the Silver and Fit fitness benefit. To find out if you’re eligible, you can check with Silver and Fit.
You’ll need to accept the Terms and Conditions, then enter your first name, last name, and birth date. If you’re eligible for the Silver and Fit program, follow the steps to enroll online.
Benefits of the Silver&Fit program:
Silver and Fit Locations
Once enrolled in Silver and Fit, you'll get access to a fitness center membership that includes a vast network of over 14,000 fitness centers and select YMCAs. To find a participating location near you, enter your ZIP code on the website. You can then search among fitness centers that take part in the Silver and Fit program.
You'll select the fitness center or YMCA that you want to attend on the Silver and Fit website. If you want to switch fitness centers, you may do so once per month.
These are the types of Silver and Fit-approved fitness centers:
- Basic fitness centers: For exercise and training that protects your heart and increases your strength, look into the Silver and Fit basic fitness centers. Available equipment may include treadmills, elliptical machines, free weights, and more.
- Full fitness centers: These gyms offer a wide range of heart-healthy and strength-training services. You may also be able to sign up for classes like yoga, Zumba, or the Silver and Fit Signature Series exercise program.
- Gender-specific gyms: If you prefer visiting a fitness center designed for particular genders, you can choose one that is Silver and Fit approved.
- Exercise centers: These locations offer services beyond your standard gym or fitness center. Amenities vary by location but may include lap pools, saunas, yoga, Pilates, or sports centers.
Can’t travel to a fitness center or prefer working out at home? No problem. Rather than selecting a fitness facility, you can enroll in the Silver and Fit Home Fitness Program.
The Silver and Fit Home Fitness Program allows you to choose up to two home fitness kits each year out of a large selection each year—there are 35 kits to choose from total. Home fitness kits may include materials such as DVDs, booklets, and a "quick start guide." And if you'd rather go back to working out in a gym, you can always switch back.
Some examples of the Home Fitness Program kits include:
- Fitbit Connected! kit, which includes a promo code you can redeem to get a free Fitbit. You can also add upgrades to your free Fitbit, but upgrades will cost extra.
- Walking kit, which comes with a pedometer and instructions.
- Yoga kit, which comes with a yoga strap, instruction booklet, and DVD.
- Chair Pilates kit, which comes with a DVD and instructions (but you have to get your own chair!).
- Stress Management kit, which features instructions on mind-body techniques to help you de-stress.
- Chair Boxing kit, which includes a guide and a DVD.
- Tai Chi kit, which comes with a towel, a guide, and a DVD.
- Cardio & Strength kit, which comes with a DVD and instructions.
- Aquatic Exercise kit, which includes a DVD on water Pilates and instructions.
To enroll, visit Silver and Fit online.
More Silver&Fit benefits
Silver and Fit enrollees may also receive additional benefits.
- Online Healthy Aging resources: Silver and Fit gives you access to an online catalog of Healthy Aging materials containing health and well-being resources. Once enrolled, you can opt to receive the Healthy Aging materials via mail. Topics include meditation, staying active, and community involvement.
- A quarterly newsletter: The Silver Slate®, provided via email, mail, or online, features a daily article designed to help you live healthier.
- Exercise and rewards program: The Silver and Fit Connected!® program allows you to use a smartphone or smart-fitness device—like a Fitbit or Apple Watch—to track your fitness and health choices to earn rewards.*
* To use the Silver and Fit Connected! program, you must use your own wearable fitness device or app that is compatible with the Silver and Fit website. American Specialty Health will not reimburse you for the costs of these devices or apps—unless you choose the Fitbit Connected! fitness kit, which may include a free Fitbit. Not all plans include the above features, and certain terms and restrictions may apply.
The cost of the program depends on which health plan you have. Many Medicare Advantage or Medicare Supplement plans include Silver and Fit for free, so you can attend fitness centers or YMCAs for no additional cost.
Other plans may require you to pay an annual fee to enroll in Silver and Fit—perhaps as high as $50. If this is the case, you'll pay the fee directly to Silver and Fit. Your annual fee must be paid by either credit or debit card.
With easy access to fitness centers that meet your needs and classes tailored for older adults, the Silver and Fit program is an excellent way for older adults to stay active. If you’re interested, look for a Medicare Advantage or Supplement plan that includes the program.
If you're already in a Medicare Advantage or Medicare Supplement plan but it doesn't include Silver and Fit, you may be able to find a plan that includes the program. Or you can check to see if your current plan includes SilverSneakers, a program similar to Silver and Fit.
For help finding a plan that includes fitness benefits, call a licensed agent.
- To access Silver and Fit online, see the Silver and Fit website.
- Call Silver and Fit at 1-877-427-4788 (TTY/TDD 711)
- Email Silver and Fit at FitnessService@ashn.com
- Mail Silver and Fit at P.O. Box 509117 San Diego, CA 92150-9117
† You must continue to pay your Medicare Part B premium.
The Silver&Fit program is provided by American Specialty Health Fitness, Inc., a subsidiary of American Specialty Health Incorporated (ASH).
Content on this site has not been reviewed or endorsed by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, the United States Government, any state Medicare agency, or any private insurance agency (collectively "Medicare System Providers"). Eligibility.com is a DBA of Clear Link Technologies, LLC and is not affiliated with any Medicare System Providers.