Medicare Advantage in Florida
Medicare Advantage allows you to receive your Medicare benefits much like you would with an employer-sponsored health plan. All your benefits come in a single policy, so you don't have to choose between the parts of Original Medicare and its add-ons.
There are 16 insurance companies selling Medicare Advantage plans in Florida.1 In total, the state has 254 plans available,2 but how many you have access to depends on where in Florida you live. Nearly half (43%) of Medicare recipients in Florida have Medicare Advantage.3
Medicare Advantage plan benefits
Medicare Advantage plans cover everything Original Medicare (Parts A and B) covers, but many Medicare Advantage plans in Florida pay for a lot more. These are a few of the most common extra benefits covered by Medicare Advantage plans:4
If you have a chronic illness in Florida, you may also be able to buy a Medicare Advantage plan that covers other services that could improve your well-being, such as meal delivery, non-medical transportation, home modifications, and air conditioners.5
Medicare Advantage plan costs in Florida
How much you’ll pay for a Medicare Advantage plan in Florida depends on the part of the state you live in and the plan you choose. But the average monthly premium for a Medicare Advantage plan in Florida is less than $15.
|Average annual cost||$5,647.83|
|Average monthly premium||$13.81|
|Average drug deductible||$125.70|
|Annual max out-of-pocket||$5,356.40|
Medicare Advantage insurers in Florida
Here are the 16 insurance providers that offer Medicare Advantage plans in Florida:
Need help getting started? Call: 833-241-9711
Top-rated Medicare Advantage providers
In Florida, the average Star Rating for Medicare Advantage plans is between 3.5 and 4. Three companies have top-rated (5-star) plans in Florida:6
- Humana: Available in 18 Florida counties with 138,591 enrollees
- Cigna-HealthSpring: Available in 17 counties with 48,112 enrollees
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield: Available in three counties with 48,646 enrollees
The Medicare Star Rating is used by the CMS to help beneficiaries find the right plan for them. Plans are rated on up to 45 quality and performance measurements, on a scale from 1 to 5, then averaged to form an overall star rating.7
Find the Medicare Advantage plan that fits you best
|Must stay in-network|
|Must choose a primary care physician|
|Referral required to see a specialist|
|More expensive premiums|
|Can go out-of-network at a higher cost|
|May or may not choose a primary care physician|
|No referrals needed to see specialists|
|May or may not have a network|
|In-network expenses lower than out-of-network|
|Accepted by any doctor who agrees to accept the plan|
|Requires written acceptance before each service for coverage|
In Florida, there are more HMOs (207) than any other type. The state also has 40 local PPOs, six regional PPOs, and one PFFS plan. Which plans are available to you depends on where you reside.8
Local resources in Florida
- SHINE: Florida’s Department of Elder Affairs provides Medicare counseling, plans community events, and financial assistance resources.
- Florida Prescription Assistance Program: This free pharmacy-discount program is available to Florida residents.
- Financial Assistance for Medicare Beneficiaries (FAMB): A breakdown of who qualifies for programs such as Medicare Savings Programs (MSPs) and Extra Help (a low-income subsidy for Part D).
Speak to a licensed agent
1. Medicare, “Find a Medicare Plan”
2. Kaiser Family Foundation, “Medicare Advantage Plans, by Plan Type”
3. Kaiser Family Foundation, “A Dozen Facts about Medicare Advantage in 2020”
4. Kaiser Family Foundation, “A Dozen Facts about Medicare Advantage in 2020”
6. CMS.gov, “2019 Star Ratings Fact Sheet”
7. CMS.gov, “2019 Star Ratings Fact Sheet”
8. Kaiser Family Foundation, “Medicare Advantage Plans, by Plan Type”
Content on this site has not been reviewed or endorsed by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, the United States Government, any state Medicare agency, or any private insurance agency (collectively "Medicare System Providers"). Eligibility.com is a DBA of Clear Link Technologies, LLC and is not affiliated with any Medicare System Providers.