Before you file
Before you file a claim for benefits, you will need to make sure you have several pieces of information available:
- Your Social Security number
- The names, addresses and phone numbers of all your employers over the last 18 months
- The name and number of your local union hall, if applicable.
- A current telephone number
- Your state issued driver’s license or a state motor vehicle agency issued identification card
- Banking information if you choose to receive payments by direct deposit
Filing an initial claim
After you have gathered all of your information, you can file an initial claim online on in person.
You can file online only under certain circumstances:
- If you are a Delaware worker who is unemployed or have reduced hours. You cannot file online if you were employed in another state during the preceding 18 months
- Are filing against a former military employer
- Are filing against a former federal civilian employer
- Are not a US citizen
If you do not meet these conditions, you will need to report to a nearby UI office to file your claim in person. You can find those office locations here.
After you file an online claim you will receive a confirmation number that is used to track your claim. Print the confirmation number and save it since you may need to provide if you have any questions about your claim.
Filing for weekly benefits
After you file an initial claim and you are approved to receive benefits, you will need to file a weekly request to claim benefits for each week you are unemployed. This is also known as certifying for benefits.
For purposes of filing for ongoing benefits, a week runs from Sunday through Saturday. Most people file on the Sunday following the completed week.
You can file for ongoing benefits two ways:
Online using WebBenefits
By phone using TeleBenefits. Call 302-761-6576 to file if you live in New Castle County or 800-794-3032 outside New Castle County.
TeleBenefits and WebBenefits cannot be used to file a new, additional, or reopened claim and are only to be used for requesting your weekly UI benefit payment.
The Information Hotline at 1(800) 794-3032 or (302) 761-6576 are available 7 days a week, 24 hours per day.
WebBenefits and TeleBenefits claims requested by 10:30 a.m. Monday through Friday will normally be processed the same day. Benefits requested after 10:30 a.m. Monday through Friday will normally be processed the next business day.
For both ways, you will be asked a series of questions which you must answer truthfully before being approved, including information on your work search efforts and if you earned any wages. If you do not answer truthfully, you could be guilty of fraud, losing your benefits and facing possible penalties and criminal charges.