There are certain reasons your Public Housing Authority (PHA) must deny your application for the Housing Choice (Section 8) Voucher program and some reasons they may deny your application.
Your PHA must deny your application if:
- You have not signed/submitted all required paperwork (e.g. consent form, immigration status).
- You are not disabled, do not have a dependent child and are a higher education student (non-veteran) under 24 years old.
- Any member of your household is engaging in illegal drug use OR the PHA has evidence that leads them to believe that one or more members of the household’s current illegal drug use or pattern of illegal drug use jeopardizes the safety conditions, overall health conditions or general wellness of the other members of the household.
- Your PHA has evidence that leads them to believe that one or more members of the household’s current alcohol abuse or pattern of alcohol abuse jeopardizes the safety conditions, overall health conditions or general wellness of the other members of the household.
- One or more household members is registered under the state sex offender registration program.
- One or more household members has been convicted of manufacturing or producing methamphetamines while living in public housing.
- Within the past 3 years, one or more household members have been evicted from public housing for drug-related activity.
Note: A PHA may accept a family’s application after considering the completion of an approved and supervised rehabilitation program of a household member who has previously engaged in substance abuse or drug-related activities. The application may also be accepted if the family member is no longer a part of the household (e.g. they pass away or go to jail).
Check Your Eligibility
may deny your application if they have evidence that leads them to confidently believe that one or more members of the household’s patterns or habits are cause for expectation that neighboring residents will be negatively effected by them moving in. Because of this rule, your PHA can exercise wide discretion regarding who is accepted into the Housing Choice (Section 8) Voucher program. Your PHA may consider things like rent payment history, recorded disturbances and property destruction when reviewing your application. Any element of your history that may have a negative effect on neighboring residents’ safety, health or overall well-being may be cause for denying your application.
In addition to these federal causes for denial, each state has its own set of application guidelines. Consult your PHA for the rules in your area.