The Silver&Fit exercise and healthy aging program is provided by American Specialty Health (ASH). It’s designed specifically for older adults. You may get access to Silver&Fit as a Medicare beneficiary through many insurance companies’ Medicare Advantage and Supplement plans.
Benefits of Silver&Fit programs
As a Silver&Fit member, you get access to a fitness center membership that includes a broad network of fitness centers and select YMCAs. To find a participating location near you, enter your ZIP code on the website. You can then search among fitness centers that take part in the Silver&Fit program. These are the types of Silver&Fit-approved fitness centers:
- Basic fitness centers: For exercise and training that protects your heart and increases your strength, look into the Silver&Fit basic fitness centers. Available equipment may include treadmills, elliptical machines, free weights, and more.
- Full fitness centers: These gyms offer a wide range of heart-healthy and strength training services. You may also be able to sign up for classes like yoga, Zumba, or the official Silver&Fit Signature Series exercise program.
- Gender-specific gyms: If you prefer visiting a fitness center designed for particular genders, you can choose one that is Silver&Fit-approved.
- Exercise centers: These locations offer services beyond your standard gym or fitness center. Amenities vary on location but may include lap pools and saunas or yoga, Pilates, or sports centers.
Can’t travel to a fitness center or prefer working out at home? No problem—enroll in the Silver&Fit Home Fitness Program. This program allows you to choose up to two out of many home fitness kits each benefit year. Home fitness kits may include materials such as DVDs, booklets, and a quick start guide. Some examples of the Home Fitness Program kits include:
- Walking kits
- Yoga kits
- Chair Pilates kits
- Stress Management kits
- Chair Boxing kits
- Tai Chi kits
- Cardio & Strength kits
- Aquatic Exercise kits
To enroll, visit Silver&Fit online.
More Silver&Fit benefits
Silver&Fit members may also receive additional benefits.
- Online Healthy Aging resources: Silver&Fit gives you access to an online catalog of Healthy Aging materials containing health and well-being resources. Once enrolled you can opt to receive the Healthy Aging materials via mail. Topics include meditation, staying active, and community involvement.
- A quarterly newsletter: The Silver Slate®, provided via email, mail, or online, features article to help you live healthier every day.
- Exercise and rewards program: The Silver&Fit Connected!® program allows you to use a smartphone or smart-fitness device to track your fitness and health choices to earn rewards.*
*To use the Silver&Fit Connected! program, you must use your own wearable fitness device or app that is compatible with the Silver&Fit website. ASH will not reimburse you for the costs of these devices or apps. Not all plans include the above features, and certain terms and restrictions may apply.
How to enroll in the Silver&Fit program
Certain Medicare Advantage and Medicare Supplement plans include the Silver&Fit program as a benefit. Some people may also get access through a group retirement health plan.
You must meet at least one of these criteria to be eligible for Silver&Fit:
- You are age 65 or older.
- You are currently enrolled in Medicare.
To find out if you’re eligible, visit this online Silver&Fit eligibility check. You’ll need accept the Terms and Conditions, then enter your first name, last name, and birth date. If you’re an eligible Silver&Fit program member, follow the steps to enroll online.
The costs of the program depend on which health plan you have. Some plans may require you to pay an annual member fee to enroll, which you’ll pay to most fitness centers. Exceptions where you will pay ASH directly include 24 Hour Fitness, LA Fitness, BeFit and Gold’s Gym.
Your membership activation at the exception locations depends on how you pay. With a credit card, your membership is immediately effective once the payment is accepted. Paying by money order means you have to wait until Silver&Fit gets the money order before your membership is activated. Once your payment has been received, you will receive your Silver&Fit Welcome Letter.
With easy access to fitness centers that meet your needs and classes tailored for older adults, the Silver&Fit program is an excellent way to stay active while aging. If you’re interested, look for a Medicare Advantage or Supplement plan that includes the program.
† You must continue to pay your Medicare Part B premium.
The Silver&Fit program is provided by American Specialty Health Fitness, Inc., a subsidiary of American Specialty Health Incorporated (ASH).